Does your dog eat Mondo Grass?
In this article, you will find out whether it’s poisonous for your dog, and what can happen if your pet eats too much of it.
Is Mondo Grass Poisonous to Dogs?
Mondo grass isn’t poisonous to dogs, and will not kill them. However, if your dog eats too much of it, he can experience many problems, including stomach upset and diarrhea.
There might be many reasons why your dog is eating Mondo Grass. Most dogs don’t experience side effects, but some do, especially if they eat it in large amounts. There might be many more side effects than stomach upset or diarrhea.
Because of that, it’s better to keep your pet away from eating your ornamental plant. This article will help you with that.
Why Does Your Dog Eat Mondo Grass?
Your dog might eat Mondo Grass, because of the following reasons.
- Diet deficiency
- Antacit presence
Dogs typically eat Mondo Grass, because of the wrong diet. They lack vitamins, nutrients, or minerals. They might also lack fiber, which helps them digest food.
Dogs during their evolution used to eat grass when they had nothing else to eat. The craving for grass, including Mondo Grass might be wired in a dog’s brain.
Also, your dog might have an empty stomach. If he’s hungry, his stomach releases yellow foam or bile, which is irritating for him. Dogs may eat grass to help them release the bile and feel better.
The reason why your dog might eat Mondo Grass can be simple-he’s just bored. Especially young dogs are likely to do it.
Also, dogs might eat Mondo Grass out of curiosity. The grass contains berries, and waves when it’s windy, so it’s in the nature of a dog to try out what it is.
If Mondo Grass is wet, especially after rain, in the morning, or at night, your dog can eat it, because he’s thirsty.
What Happens if Your Dog Eats too Much Mondo Grass?
If your dog eats too much Mondo Grass, he might experience vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, decrease in appetite, bloody stool, lethargy, or lip licking.
Small amounts of Mondo Grass probably will not harm your dog, but it’s an individual matter. However, if he eats too much of it, it will almost for sure have its negative consequences.
According to studies, only about 20% of dogs are vomiting after eating grass. About 10% show signs of illness prior to eating grass.
As a rule of thumb, your dog shouldn’t eat Mondo Grass, because it might accidentally be treated with herbicides, or pesticides that are toxic to dogs. Also, Mondo Grass might contain roundworms, hookworms, or other parasites, so you should make sure that your pet stays away from Mondo Grass.
Are Mondo Grass Berries Poisonous to Dogs?
Many dog owners are afraid that Mondo Grass berries are poisonous to dogs.
Mondo Grass berries aren’t poisonous to dogs, however, if he eats a large amount of it, it can cause stomach upset.
Some berries themselves are poisonous to dogs, but not Mondo Grass berries. However, he shouldn’t eat them either.
Mondo Berries contain lots of fiber, which can cause diarrhea, and stomach upset. They don’t contain a lot of sugar, but if he eats them regularly, it might also cause cavities.
How to Keep Away Your Dog From Eating Mondo Grass?
As you know, if your dog is eating Mondo Grass, it will not kill him, but it’s not healthy for him either. Here are the ways that you can stop your dog from eating Mondo Grass.
- Balance his diet. If your dog eats grass, he might be nutrient deficient. Make sure you feed him well, so he won’t have grass cravings. You can consult with a veterinarian, or find the right diet online.
- Make sure he’s not hungry or thirsty. Dogs shouldn’t be hungry. If you want to stop them from eating Mondo Grass, even a small snack can prevent them from eating grass. Also, keep his bowl full of water, especially in the summer.
- Train your dog. If your dog is less than 2 years old, you can easily teach him commands, such as “leave it” to stop destroying and eating Mondo Grass. Older dogs also can learn that, but it will be harder. You can watch some tutorials on YouTube.
- Provide a toy. If you buy a chewing toy for your dog, he will be less likely to play with your Mondo Grass. You can play with him to exhaust him and give no reasons to touch Mondo Grass.
- Buy a dog deterrent. You can also spray the area next to your Mondo Grass with a deterrent, like this one on Amazon. Your dog hates this smell and will stay away from it.